John Ogden Memorial Winter League 2016
2016 WINTER LEAGUE RULES
• The contest will be a round robin tournament or modified round robin tournament, to be
held on 3 consecutive Saturdays: Jan. 16, Jan. 23 and Jan. 30; any rained out games
will be played on Saturday, Feb. 6.
• When league play is cancelled due to rain, the tournament director will notify team
captains as early as possible starting with the players that have furthest to drive.
• Maximum number of entrants is 14 teams.
• No odd number of team entrants.
• If 12 teams are entered, four 10 end games will be played weeks 1 and 2 and three
games played week 3; 3 bowls per player.
• If 14 teams entered, four 10 end games will be played each week (time permitting, 5
games will be played week 3); 3 bowls per player.
• Teams will be assigned a team number by random draw prior to the event.
• This is a timed event. Each game lasts a maximum of 1.5 hours. A warning bell will be
sounded when there are 15 minutes left. If the game is not completed by the expired
time, the score will be the final result of the last end played.
• Scoring for each match: 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss.
• Victory points will be awarded to both teams based on game differential See “Scoring
for the Winter League” below.
• All PIMD regulations apply with the following exceptions; If the jack is burnt, the end is
not replayed. The end is counted as dead with no points awarded to either team.
• Two bowl trial ends may be played prior to the first game at each skip’s discretion.
Registration: 8:45 am
Announcements: 9:00 am
Trial ends: 9:15 am
Game 1: 9:30 am to 11 am
Game 2: 11 am to 12:30 pm
Lunch: 12:30 pm to 1:15 pm
Game 3: 1:15 pm to 2:45 pm
Game 4: 2:45 pm to 4:15 pm
The start of the tournament is 9:30 am. If you are late, the penalty is 1 point and one
end played for each 10 min late. After 30 minutes late, the game is considered a
forfeit with a final score of 0-3
• Should a rain out occur during play: a game is considered scored if 8 ends have been
• Rained out games will be made up a soon as possible at the discretion of the
• One substitute is allowed per team for any game. The substitute must play the lead
position. It is the team captain or skip’s responsibility to find a substitute for their team
when needed. It is strongly recommended that teams line up their own substitutes as
early as possible.
• Team captains will notify the tournament director if they are not able to field a team for
any given day.
• Teams not able to field a team will constitute a forfeit with a final score of 0-3.
• The head umpire will be delegated by the tournament director to resolve any conflicts
pertaining to the Rules of Bowls. Head umpire decisions are final.
• Dress is Winter casual. Dress comfortably.
Scoring for the Winter League
• A combination of Game Points and Victory Points are used to determine the
• Game points: 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss.
• Victory points will be awarded to both teams based on game differential.
• Skips must verify game results and sign each other’s card before turning in to the
tournament director for official scoring.
• Prizes will be awarded up to the top four places based first on: cumulative game points
and then victory points.
• Prize money will be distributed evenly between tied teams other than for first place.
• Any ties for first place will be broken by: head-to-head results; if still tied, a two end single
elimination play-off game will be played.
A maximum of 13 Victory Points are awarded each game to reflect margin of victory as
Point Diff. Winner V.P. Loser V.P.
Tie 6.5 6.5
1 - 3 8 5
4 - 6 9 4
7 - 10 10 3
11 - 20 11 2
21 - 30 12 1
31 + 13 0